Thursday, November 12, 2009



Imagine getting opportunity to move into the home your spouse had grown up in only to discover that your ancestors had roamed its halls centuries before! That's what happened to Lori Colby, and her intriguing story unfolds in the article "This Old House: Ancestral Home Gives Sense of History" on the Wicked Local Bolton, Massachusetts news web site.

You can't help but envision the children over the decades playing hide and seek in the secret nooks and crannies in the home that Lori describes. And I found myself envious of the gloriously large brick fireplace featured in the photo that accompanies the article. (be sure to click on it to get the full view!)

Have you or do you live an an old house? Or better yet, and ancestral home? Tell us about your trap doors, and special findings in the Comments section.

I'll start: We once owned a large old Victorian home in Washington State. Down in the basement was a wall of very unusual book shelves...too shallow and small for average size books. On them remained one small book with the handwritten name "Andrus" inside the front cover. A bit of research at the public library revealed the house had once been owned by Colonel Andrus famous for his involvement in the Nuremberg trials. And soon the mystery was solved: the bookshelves had been custom built by the Colonel to house his personal collection of small diary books in which he took copious notes on the trials.

1 comment:

Kathleen O'Hara said...

Every so often, when I search the internet for one of my ancestral family homes (an apartment building in Brooklyn) I come across an announcement, a few years old, of some girls about my age looking for a 4th roommate in their apartment, in what, for all I know, is the room my great-great-grandmother slept in. And reasonably priced, too! And it kills me that I a) wasn't looking for an apartment then, b) don't live in Brooklyn, and c) didn't see the ad until long after it was no longer available.

A tiny part of me thinks I might have upended my life, decided against grad school, and moved to NY to live in my ancestral home for a year. It's probably good I never saw the announcement until it was too late!