Tuesday, March 2, 2010

WDYTYA: You're Gonna Get It...And You're Gonna Love It!

I just finished watching the first episode of the new NBC TV series Who Do You Think You Are? which featured Sarah Jessica Parker.  I was fortunate enough to receive a preview DVD of the series in conjunction with my interview with Lisa Kudrow, and tomorrow will be watching the remaining 6 episodes marathon style with my daughter who helps me here at Genealogy Gems.

Lisa Kudrow's enthusiasm during my interview with her (Listen here or in iTunes) is now even more understandable.  Not only is the production quality of the show first rate, but the story is compelling.  Sarah Jessica Parker does a fantastic job of narrating her journey.  Her sincere enthusiasm for the unfolding story of her ancestors is a joy to watch.

I've been reading many of the articles being published by the media who participated in a recent telephone press conference with Lisa Kudrow and Dan Bucatinsky that are now circulating the Internet.  Having been on the call as well gave me a very fresh perspective on this type of reporting.  I scratch my head occasionally as I read the cynical TV land snippets, and often wonder "were we all on the the same call?"

Let me assure my readers that regardless of any harsh online bloviating, you are going to LOVE this show!  As family historians, you will "get it"...you'll get why Sarah's eyes light up...you'll get why she now feels like an American...you'll get why it was important to not just read the documents but walk their footsteps.  You're gonna get it, and you're gonna want more!  And the thing I'm most excited about is that I really believe that the non-family historian, non-TV critic viewing audience out there is gonna get it too!

Here's a tip: after watching the episode on March 5 at 8:00 pm read Kimberly Powell's posting on the Salem Witch Trials.

And if you'd like to hear more from Lisa Kudrow listen to Genealogy Gems Podcast Premium Episode 41.  

1 comment:

Lisa Gilmore Lier said...

I'm so glad you wrote this... I get so irritated when I hear the Sarah was "Over Acting" when she would get a piece of the puzzle. Well, if that were true I suppose I OVER ACT also! *G* Hopefully the people who write that drivel are the minority and this show will go on! I am a die hard Ghost Whisperer fan and I watch this show and then watch Ghost Whisperer on line! *G* Thanks Again Lisa for doing a fantastic job for us!